Code Enforcement Department

Code/Zoning Enforcement Officer
125 Main Street
Greenville, PA 16125
Ph: 724-588-4193, ext. 404

The major responsibilities of the Greenville Code Enforcement Department can be summarized as follows:

  1. Enforcement of Borough Ordinances, International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC), and Zoning.
  2. Conducts inspections on all Non-Owner Occupied Properties.
  3. Responds to complaints from the public and other departments received either by phone, in person, mail, or email.
  4. Works with the Borough's third party inspection agency for any Uniform Construction Code (UCC) projects in the Borough.
  5. Issues municipal permits for projects (i.e. roofs, fences, demolition, signs, etc.).
  6. Hands out, collects, and provides UCC permits.
  7. Writes violations for infractions of Borough Ordinances, IPMC, and Zoning.
  8. Files criminal complaints and appears in front of the District Magistrate when necessary for unabated violations.
  9. Works with Water Authority to ensure the safety and sanitary conditions of water users.
  10. Works with property owners with variance requests by setting a Zoning Board hearing. 

The Code Office encourages those who believe they are occupying a dwelling unit that is in substandard conditions to contact the department and request an inspection.

If you have an upcoming project and are unsure if a permit is required, or if zoning will be an issue please call the Code Office to avoid a stop work order and possible violations.

Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I contact the code officer? Call the code office at 724-588-4193 extension 404. The code officer is available Monday – Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm.
  2. What are the two types of building permits in the Borough? Borough of Greenville Permits - Small projects, like a small storage shed, only require the code officer to inspect your “set backs,” the amount of space you have between new shed and your neighbor’s property line. All roofing projects require a Borough of Greenville building permit; as well as other projects. If you are unsure if you need a permit please do call the code office.
    PCI Permits - Large projects, like new electrical service, a new garage and any changes to the existing structure, like enlarging a window, do require inspections. The Borough has hired PCI to handle these projects. Just pick up an application in the Borough office, fill it out, including a drawing or blueprints of the project, and return it to the Borough. PCI calculates their fee, which is paid when you pick up your building permit. From that point you have direct contact with PCI to answer any questions and perform your inspections.
  3. What are the demolition regulations?  Download Demo Regulations.
  4. Where can I find the application for Uniform Construction Code permits? Visit the Pennsylvania Construction Inspection website.
  5. Where can I find the International Property Maintenance Code? International Property Maintenance Code
  6. Where can I find the International Fire Code? International Fire Code

Asbestos Information